End The War On (Some) Drugs
Two reads worth your time:
Cliffs of Insanity: End The War On Drugs
Denninger: The Drug War - Time To Wake Up?
My take, based on six years in the investigative trenches, courtrooms, and electronically-surveilled airwaves of the drug war?
- Repeal all Federal drug laws aimed at possession and distribution, then disband the DEA;
- In the states, enact "Vermont carry" citizen armament statutes, then decriminalize possession of everything (narcotics, marijuana, hallucinogens, everything) in quantities under or equal to five kilograms;
- For possession of quantities greater than five kilograms, require forfeiture of the goods unless the possessor is authorized by applicable state law;
- Permit distribution pursuant to applicable state laws (which would, of course, vary from state to state) to anyone except minors;
- Retask all existing "drug war" resources to the resulting temporary crime spikes, if any, until equilibrium (i.e, sufficient dead users) is reached (e.g., no more than 36 months);
- Disband legacy "drug war" resources once equilibrium is reached.
Of course, none of these steps will be taken.
Leviathan needs drug laws.
For the children, of course......
UPDATE 2030 EDT 14 SEPTEMBER 2010: Einstein weighs in.