Sultan Knish: Bin Laden Is Winning
Read and think.
The only tweak I'd make to Greenfield's piece is to change his thesis to "Islam is winning". OBL ain't either the point or the spear.
Islam, on the other hand, is both.
Got into a nasty wordfest with an old friend on the topic last week. He heard me negating (not that I was) his son's courage and that of his comrades in Afghanistan (the son was a M240 gunner who caught a round in the plate and lost much function in his trigger hand from another round when his team took heavy fire).
Let me clear: the soldiers, Marines, and other US personnel in the Islamic Wars are doing their damnedest in almost-impossible political conditions. Their courage and devotion to duty is commendable in the extreme.
But the grand strategy in which they are deployed is utterly FUBAR.
The Muslim Bad People (MBP) will always have the following advantages over the US forces deployed across the dar al-Harb and the dar al-Islam:
1) The MBP are willing to do anything and use any means necessary to achieve their strategic objectives. Pretty good ROEs there, compared to Team America and its lawyers.
2) The majority of the world's media and governments are already in the pocket of Allah, either by shared sympathies for the West's destruction and/or through the efficacy of Muslim violence described previously.
3) Most importantly, the MBP are fighting in their own backyards (at least relatively). An arithmetic exercise, if you would:
- Ask yourself what is cost per day to keep one American fighting man deployed in theatre.
- Then multiply that number times the number of troops deployed.
- Now add the costs of all of the support and ancillary services.
- Finally, ask how much longer the bankrupt USA can afford to send Big Army, the USMC, the USAF, air elements of the US Navy, and all of their respective logistics and contractor trains throughout Islamia.
Quick answer? Not very damned long.
The hardest thing for folks to wrap their brains around?
Team America is actually fighting in support of sharia in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Take the time to read the governing documents of those benighted places; see particularly Article Two of both the Iraqi and Afghan constitutions:
That's what your taxes and your descendants' debt burden are supporting.
That's what the US .mil is fighting to support.
Do you understand yet?