What Is To Be Done: Question and Answer
Kevin at The Smallest Minority posed the following question in response to yesterday's post re voting:
And the alternative is...
Be specific. And detailed.
Because I really want to hear it.
The people in this country who truly cherish freedom in all of its manifestations (thought, guns, speech, religion, association, private property, etc.) had better darned skippy get used to the idea that we are a cursed minority and will be for the foreseeable future.
The simple formula is this:
- We're screwed
- There's gonna be a fight
- Let's win
Your posts on the courts and freedom issues in general mean that I don't have to make the case for "we're screwed" with you.
BTW, thanks for all that you have taught me through your writing.
So we move to "there's gonna be a fight".
Ain't no way that the transnational socialists can leave an armed, educated, defiant remnant intact to cut and slash at their Utopian schemes at every opportunity. The tranzis have to do everything in their power to disarm (literally, perhaps, but certainly educationally and psychologically; see generally Snyder, Walter Mitty's Second Amendment) everyone they can.
The reality is that the fight has been on for some sixty (or more) years.
You know that, per your writings.
So on to the fun part - "let's win".
Step one in "let's win" is to refuse any further collaboration in our demise. That's Billy Beck's point - delude yourself all you want with your participatory democracy fantasies, but leave me the hell out of it.
Withholding collaboration takes many forms, however. It involves getting physically, mentally, and emotionally prepared for the really hard stuff. Specific steps include the following:
1) Fix teeth
2) Lose weight
3) Start walking at a fast pace regularly (1 mile 4x weekly)
4) Start working 25 yard jogs into your walks
5) Eat less and eat better
6) Get a complete physical
7) Stockpile any needed maintenance drugs
8) Start weightlifting by doing rifle dry-fire snaps (start with rifle at low ready, bringing up and dropping hammer just as sights align on light switch) 25 reps for strong side and weak side 3X/weekly
9) Integrate a light (20 lb.) pack into your walk/jogs
10) Bring one's spouse along as much and as quickly as possible.
- read and assimilate the resistance canon (Heinlein, Ross, Vanderboegh, Bracken, Suarez, Royce, von Dach Bern, etc.)
- read and assimilate the economic canon (Hayek, von Mises, etc.)
- read and assimilate the political canon (DoI, USC, BoR, Spooner, DiLorenzo, Bovard, etc.)
- Get square with God as you understand Him. Even if atheist or agnostic, one needs a Larger Context in which to place the upcoming suffering and struggle.
- Sort the sheep from the goats in one's immediate circle. In some cases, that may mean divorce/separation, estrangement from children, parents, or other relatives, and the loss of friends. Better now than when the excitement has begun.
- For those remaining, get them up to speed on all fronts as much and as quickly as they can handle. Your associates' ability to digest all of the bitter medicine that they must swallow will no doubt be a source of frustration. Keep trying.
- Understand, at a profound level, how our lives as mortal creatures are both fleeting and as meaningful or as meaningless as we make them. Commit to yourself and to your ideals that you will spend the remaining days of your life wisely and in furtherance of those eternal truths.
Now, compared to that list, do you really think it matters whether one votes for McCain, Obama, Barr, or the write-in candidate of one's choice?
I respectfully submit that it matters not one whit.
Declare yourself into freedom, just as the Founders did 232 years ago.
Then do everything you can to defend that freedom, even unto death.
And I mean everything.
Remember too the cannibal's paradox - that the time spent in overcoming a taboo can so debilitate the prospective actor that the action taken fails for being too late.
Keep bashing on, amigo.
To reiterate, we have reached the point in this country, I believe, where the electoral power of the following societal segments:
- government workers at the local, state, and Federal level;
- "private industry" workers whose jobs are dependent on continually-expanding government spending;
- government dependents totally reliant upon the State for housing, sustenance, and other basics;
- millions of illegal aliens transmuted into "undocumented voters" to further the statists' schemes; and
- individuals whose so-called "thinking" is so befogged by the combination of government school indoctrination and mainstream media propaganda that the concepts of freedom and private property are almost literally unthinkable
is so great as to render the existing political processes moot for anyone who believes in individual freedom and limited government.
We simply do not have the votes.
The indispensable James Bovard has more on that theme here.
Kevin has noted here and elsewhere that "the courts will not save us."
In its listing of the exceptions to the Second Amendment's "...shall not be infringed" language, Scalia and the Heller majority have once again proven him right.
I submit that if one is dispassionate in one's analysis of today's political scene, the inescapable conclusion is that a voting booth is also not going to save traditional American freedom and its servants.
And the big question remains - what do the "holy electoral process" advocates plan to do when the slavering Majority of government minions has voted to:
- seize your guns and ammunition;
- confiscate the majority of your income;
- limit your access to your retirement savings;
- tax your real estate into foreclosure;
- further transform your children's education into multi-culti State worship;
- restrict your ability to criticize and denounce the Government upon pain of imprisonment;
- abolish your ability to praise the God of your understanding as "hate speech";
- monitor your communications with like-minded folks as "a matter of homeland security"; or
- any combination thereof?
What's the plan then, amigos?
Have you "if you don't vote, you don't have the right to complain" campers even thought the problem through to its logical end?
Courage - and a willingness to do whatever it takes to destroy tyranny once and for all on this continent - can do the job of restoring individual liberty and a much-diminished role of government in our daily lives.
However, the question remains as to whether enough Americans (and freedom-loving Canadians) have the guts to do so.
Imagine what 3% of America's population could do if focused on the goal of destroying tyranny wherever it raises its ugly head, whether in Washington, the state capital, the local board of supervisors, or the neighborhood precinct office.